RSS Just Better. Usage & Shortcode Sample
Usage as a Shortcode
In Posts/Pages->Add New or Edit of your wp adminstration, select the HTML tab in the entry form;
Enter the following:
* In Posts/Pages->Add New or Edit of your wp adminstration, select the HTML tab in the entry form;
* enter either the following (if you want to display a generic feed):
or the following (if you want to display a Google News feed):
A list of the Google localization codes is here.
Optional attributes for Google News feeds are the following:
- local: city, state/province or zipcode. This is limited to Usa and Canada news and in English language only (default: none)
- gsearch: search-words according to google search syntax. Learn a few Tips about Google search (default: none)
- topic: any of Google’s topic-codes (default: Top Stories). (See also notes 1 and 2)
Other optional attributes are:
- filter: enter any keyword which needs to be present or avoided in the titles of the choosen feed’s items.(see note 4 below)
- num: number of items to be displayed (default: 5) (see note 5 below);
- list: either “ul” or “ol” to get unordered or ordered lists (default: “ul”);
- target: either “_blank” or “_self” to get links opened in a new or the same window (default: “_blank”);
- pubdate: either true or false to display the publication date/not (default: false);
- pubtime: either true or false to display the publication time/not (default: false);
- dformat: customized date format (default: none. None displays the wp standard date format if pubdate is true);
- tformat: customized time format (default: none. None displays the wp standard time format if pubtime is true);
- pubauthor: true/false whether you allow this plugin homepage to be displayed in the footer or not (please, say yes) (default: true);
- excerpt: either true or false to display the excerpt/not (default: false);
- charex: limit the number of the ecerpt chars to be displayed (default: none = all chars will be displayed);
- chartle: limit the number of the title chars to be displayed (default: none = all chars will be displayed);
- title: title for the items list (default: none);
- link: either true or false if the title is linked to the RSS/Atom feed URL/not (default: false);
- sort: either true to display the list in alphabetic order (by title) or false to display in reverse date/time order (default: false);
- cachefeed: cache refresh for the feed (in seconds) (default: 3600 => 1h);
Example of shortcode with all attributes and their default values for a generic feed URL:
[RSSjb feed=”http://feeds.feedburner.com/StefaniasBlog” filter=”" num=”5″ ltime=”" list=”ul” target=”_blank” pubdate=”false” pubtime=”false” dformat=”" tformat=”" pubauthor=”true” excerpt=”false” charex=”150″ title=”" link=”false” sort=”false” cachefeed=”3600″]
Example of shortcode with all attributes and their default values for a Google News feed URL:
[RSSjb location=”us” local=”" topic=”" gsearch=”" filter=”" num=”5″ ltime=”" list=”ul” target=”_blank” pubdate=”false” pubtime=”false” dformat=”" tformat=”" pubauthor=”true” excerpt=”false” charex=”150″ title=”" link=”false” sort=”false” cachefeed=”3600″]
Usage As a widget
In Appearance – > Widgets of your wp administration, drag & drop the RSS Just Better widget to any widget-ready area of your wp;
Now, complete the widget form:
- Enter a title to be given to your items list;
- Choose whether you want the widget title linkable to the feed URL or not;
- Enter the RSS/Atom feed URL of the items you wish to display OR..
- Enter the location of the Google News feed items you wish to display;
- Enter topic or search keys, local (all optionals) if you chose a Google News feed (see notes 1, 2, 3 below);
- Enter the frequency for the cache refresh (in seconds);
- Choose if you want your list sorted by title instead of the standard (reverse) date/time;
- Enter enter any keyword which needs to be present or excluded in the titles of the choosen feed items. (see note 4 below)
- Enter the number of items you want to display (if available) (see note 5 below);
- Enter the max age (in hours from publishing) an item needs to have to be displayed. Useful for less frequently updated feeds;
- Choose the number of chars you want to truncate the title to (if any);
- Choose whether you want a publication date/time (and in which formats), excerpt (and how many chars of it) or not;
- Select whether you want a dotted list (default) or a numbered/ordered list;
- Select whether you want the linked items to open up in a new page (default) or in the same page;
- Choose whether you allow this plugin homepage to be displayed or not (please, say yes);
- Click on ‘Save’ (and ‘Close’ the widget form, if you want).
- Note on ‘topic’ attribute/parameter:
- Note on ‘topic’ & ‘gsearch’ attributes/parameters:
- Note on ‘Local’ attribute/parameter:
- Notes on ‘filter’ attribute/parameter:
Not all topics are set for all countries/languages. If you select a topic for a country where this is not provided (as yet?) then the “Top stories” (the default) will be displayed instead.
Google (not me!) allows to search by topic OR by search-word(s). The two “filters” do not work together: if topic AND search-keys are both entered by the user, then the search-keys will be ignored and no error message will be displayed.
This option is available for Google News in English limited to Usa and Canada. It allows to enter city, region or postcode for local news results only.
- You can enter one of more words to be able to select your feed’s items by keyword. So if you write “foo bar” you will INCLUDE ONLY those titles where ANY of the two word(s) is present and if you write “-foo -bar” you will EXCLUDE ALL those titles where any of the two words is present instead.
- You can also mix inclusive and exclusive terms as in “foo -bar” of course (it will include only titles with “foo” and without “bar”.)
- Search is case insensitive and searches for keywords in the titles only.
- Wildshars, quotes and boolean are not enabled for this search.
The maximum number of displayable articles/items depends on the number of articles stored into the XML page (RSS/Atom feed page) of the website you want to syndicate (i.e. if you wish to display the latest 15 items and the original feed contains 10 items only, then only 10 items will be displayed). If 0 is entered then all the available items are displayed.
Wonder if these nerdy posts are related to my job, well, the answer is no. As a good friend once told me, "one never heals from programming!". It must be true in my case.... Comments (1)