You-must-have wordpress plugins lists
I found a couple of nice lists (via Problogger.net):
21 Awesome WordPress Plugins That I selfishly kept to myself until today by Marketing Pilgrim
10 WordPress Plugins for New Blogs by Problogger
Now, as I don’t like to reinvent the wheel, I blondly list each of them below.
- Akismet – a great comment spam plugin. Interestingly I had comment spam on TwiTip that Akismet filtered within minutes of launching the blog on Twitter.
- All in One SEO Pack – a plugin that helps to optimize a blog for search engines. It gives easy ways to set up title tags, descriptions, keywords (both for home pages but also on individual posts) and a variety of other settings that have an impact upon SEO.
- cforms – a powerful contact form plugin. It’s a lot more complex than other comment form plugins out there but has a lot more features (some that I’m yet to fully test).
- Google XML Sitemaps – a plugin to help Google and other search engines to find every page and post on your blog – good for getting a new blog indexed quickly.
- Simple Tags – extends the built in tags features on WordPress.
- Subscribe To Comments – a WordPress plugin that allows those leaving comments to check a box and be notified when other people leave a comment on that thread.
- Tweet This – ads an invitation for readers to Tweet a link to the post they are reading. While I wouldn’t put this on every blog – it seemed a no brainer on a blog about Twitter.
- WordPress.com Stats – I’m using Google Analytics as my main metrics tool for TwiTip but it doesn’t update in real time so this plugin helps to get a quick update of what’s happening on the blog at any given point in time.
- WP-Polls – an AJAX polling plugin with some nice features. I’ve previously used the Democracy Plugin but this one seems to be working really nicely so far.
- WP Ajax Edit Comments – this plugin allows those leaving comments to edit their comments for a short period of time after they leave a comment.
Marketing Pilgrim’s list:
- Akismet – best comment spam filter ever!
- Author Image – smiling faces on every post
- Best Contact Form – a juiced-up contact form
- CommentLuv – paying it forward
- FeedFooter – little messages at the bottom of your feed
- Force Word Wrapping – ‘cos some words are too long
- Math Comment Spam – when Akismet is not enough
- No Self Pings – does exactly what it says on the tin
- Post Teaser – because I’m a big tease
- Redirection – when it absolutely, positively, must get there
- Related Posts – don’t leave home without it
- SEO Title Tag – “Professor” Spencer’s SEO home-run
- Show Top Commentators – just add water for instant comments
- Smart Ads – smarter than the average plugin
- Subscribe to Comments – “you just keep me hanging on!”
- Theme Tester – behind the scenes theme switching
- WordPress Database Backup – a life saver
- WP-Cache – legalized speeding
- WP-Email – you’ll be surprised how often this is used
- WP-Notable – share, and share alike
Next step: I am going to divide them by my categories:
Usefullness: a) I’ll install it, b) Uhm, maybe for later, c) I’ll never understand this
Use: a) Marketing, b) security, c) esthetics.
Wonder if these nerdy posts are related to my job, well, the answer is no. As a good friend once told me, "one never heals from programming!". It must be true in my case....
TrackBack URL for this entry: